Types of Warts and Treatment Options
Warts, though harmless, can sometimes be painful and embarrassing. As small non-cancerous skin growths, they can impede your daily routine. Luckily, they can be taken care of by your dermatologist. Warts are caused by several different strains of the human papillomavirus (HPV). If you find that you have developed a wart, it is time to go see Dr. Stephen Comite. As a dermatologist at SkinProvement Dermatology New York, he will treat the problem so that you have the relief that you are looking for.
There are several things that make people more vulnerable to the development of warts. This can include damage to this skin such as small cuts. Warts are contagious so it is possible to spread them from person to person. They can be spread through contact with items such as towels or even intimate contact.
Types of Warts
There are several types of warts that can afflict patients. These include:
- Common warts: These are often found on fingers, hands and toes. Ranging in size from a pinhead to pea-size, they can have a rough texture with small black dots.
- Plantar warts: These usually occur on the feet. Resembling thick calluses, they can also have small black dots.
- Flat warts: Smooth and flat, these can appear on the cheeks or forehead.
- Periungual warts: These develop around the nails and can spread to the underlying tissue of the nailbed.
- Genital warts: These are transmitted sexually. Generally, they cause itching and irritation. They can appear around any of the sexual and groin areas and should be treated.
Treatment for Warts
Your dermatologist has several treatment options for warts. These include the following:
- Cryotherapy: This treatment freezes the wart causing it to be destroyed.
- Curettage: This common treatment for warts involves burning and scraping the wart off.
- Laser treatment: The wart is burned off with a laser.
- Topical medications: These can be medications that are applied to the wart.
There are several other treatments for stubborn warts. When you need treatment, visit Dr. Stephen Comite at SkinProvement Dermatology New York. In New York NY, he is the dermatologist you need. Call (212) 933-9490 for an appointment. Do not let an embarrassing wart ruin your day, call today!
Share This Article
Back to Warts Page