Types of acne and the effective acne treatments offered in New York
Located in New York, Dr. Stephen Comite and the team at SkinProvement Dermatology New York offer comprehensive dermatology care including effective acne treatments to help patients achieve healthy skin. Although it is common in teenagers, adults suffer the physical and emotional strain of acne, too. Acne causes embarrassment, stress, and damage to not only the skin but to overall confidence.
Types of acne
Acne breakouts can strike anyone, regardless of skin type. Most often the breakouts are caused by hormonal changes including puberty, pregnancy, genetics, and stress. When a pimple forms, the skin becomes clogged with bacteria or dead skin cells. By trapping bacteria, the skin becomes red and inflamed. The area may be tender, itchy, or filled with pus.
Acne comes in different forms. The most common types of acne requiring attention include:
- Persistent and recurrent acne which continually shows up. Individual pimples may last for 2 weeks or more.
- Cystic acne develops as large, painful bumps. It is a common cause of acne scars.
A pimple on occasion goes away on its own. However, regular breakouts require treatment with a dermatologist. Every patient is different. For some a single treatment may work. Others may need a combination of treatments to get smoother, acne-free skin. Commonly used acne treatments include:
- Oral medications – For patients with severe acne, daily prescription medications can help control breakouts by killing bacteria and reducing swelling.
- Topical products – Cleansers, lotions, or creams containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid may be available over-the-counter or through a dermatologist to help control breakouts.
- Accutane – a derivative of Vitamin A may be used effectively in many forms of acne, and especially in the most severe forms. Women of child-bearing age must be monitored to avoid pregnancy. Other issues will be discussed at your consultation.
Share this Article
Back to Acne Page